Since Zee Kannada shows like Gattimela, will soon be celebrating the Varamahalakshmi festival and observing the fast, we decided to bring to your attention a very interesting topic. But first, let’s understand the significance of the festival itself shall we? Varamahalakshmi or Varamahalakshmi Vrata is a festival that is celebrated and treasured in the name of Goddess Lakshmi, the wife of one of the Hindu Trinity Gods (Bramha – Vishnu – Shiva), Lord Vishnu. If we dissect the word Varamahalakshmi, we get two parts; Vara which means ‘Boon’ and Mahalakshmi which is another name for Goddess Lakshmi. So this festival is all about married women (in rare cases unmarried too) who keep a fast the entire day with much devotion in their heart to please Goddess Lakshmi; the Hindu Goddess of wealth and prosperity.
Varamahalakshmi falls on the second Friday (i.e, before the full moon) of the Shravan month, every year. According to legend, performing a fast for the Goddess on this day mean that you have paid a tribute to all eight goddesses, also known as Ashtalakshmi. They represent Wealth, Earth, Wisdom, Love, Fame, Peace, Contentment, and Strength, respectively. Women do this fast only to ask for the betterment of their family, the men in their family and for other things like an offspring etc. It is also considered an auspicious time for such boons to be granted. However, if you have planned on keeping this fast this year and are new to it, here are a few suggestions that might make your life simpler.
1. Ensure to clean each corner of your house to the best of your knowledge on the given Thursday (one day before the pooja). The idea behind this is mainly to allow good vibes throughout the house and welcome the Gods for the pooja the next day.
2. Then get the pooja area set up by placing a kalasha that represents the deity. Decorate the kalasha with clothes, jewellery, flowers and some sacred threads of turmeric. Inside the vessel should be filled with raw rice along with other items (specific to each caste, you will have to check with some elders) till the brim and then topped with a coconut and a fresh mango leaves around.
3. Get up early in the morning on the day of the Varamahalakshmi Vrata and firstly take a good bath (including your hair). Ensure that you keep some offerings like fruits, sweets, flowers and coins in the front as well. You can also decorate the area (for example, your pooja room) with a beautiful rangoli design of your choice.
4. Learn about the rituals if you are new to the pooja, beforehand itself. Here again, the rituals vary from family to family, so you can consult with your elders to take the best procedure forward.
5. If you are an unmarried woman and want to do this fast, ensure that you do it alongside your mother. This is because the vrata is for married women, so in very few cases unmarried women go ahead and do it.
6. For some reason, if you aren’t able to perform the pooja on that day then you can celebrate it the next Friday.
7. If you have recently delivered a baby, and the Varamahalakshmi falls within 22 days of that, it is considered inauspicious, so try to avoid the pooja in such a case.
Let us know if there are any other tips you would like to share with us, in the space given below.
Watch the latest episodes of your favourite Kannada shows, streaming here on the ZEE5 platform.